The Strategic Initiatives (SI) Program engages in active horizon scanning to identify initiatives of high strategic impact in order to continuously push the boundaries of systemic analyses.
The program works closely with the IIASA National Member Organizations (NMOs) to identify NMO specific research interests and needs, and leverage the expertise available across the institute to break new ground in systems research and applications while also establishing and building strategic partnerships. IIASA strategic initiatives are time-bound and set up via periodic competitive, rigorously scrutinized, internal calls for proposals.
Initiatives are selected based on their ability to draw on cross-program expertise and expand the IIASA research portfolio beyond that identified in the research plans of other programs. The initiatives pursued under the auspices of the program are typically of value and interest to several or all NMOs and serve as a vehicle to better align the research interests of NMOs and IIASA, albeit with a clear focus on themes identified in the IIASA strategy.
The objectives of a Strategic Initiative include:
- Leverage cross-program expertise and expand IIASA’s research portfolio beyond that identified in research plans of other Programs.
- Lead to high strategic impact scientific outputs
- Be a vehicle to better align NMOs and IIASA’s research interests, albeit with a clear focus on themes identified in IIASA’s strategy
- Act as a magnet for external co-funding
- Be set up via a formal call for proposals with a defined selection process and evaluation criteria.
IIASA Connect is bringing together our NMO network and the Strategic Initiative researchers.