IIASA is co-organizing an Arctic simulation that will provide early career researchers in Canada with an opportunity to explore international science diplomacy through an immersive role-play experience and a virtual simulation proposed by the Centre for Systems Solutions (CRS).
Along with the Science & Policy Exchange (SPE), the Institute for Science, Society and Policy (ISSP), the National Research Council (NRC), and Mitacs, IIASA is co-organizing an Arctic simulation in Canada. This virtual event is aimed at early career researchers who want to develop science diplomacy skills and follows a successful social simulation at the Canadian Science Policy Conference 2020, organized by IIASA, the Centre for Systems Solutions (CRS), and the ISSP.
Participants will role-play Arctic trade international stakeholders in a case study that takes place in a fictitious future. They will hone their skills and knowledge by taking part in a in a real-world policy discussion and the policy development process while facing global challenges. The online platform and the case study have been developed by the CRS.
- 11:00 EST: Policy simulation
- 15:00 EST: Break
- 15:30 EST: Keynote address, Monica Gattinger (ISSP)
- 16:30 EST: Networking
IIASA and Canada, since 2010
- IIASA researchers have collaborated with over 30 research partners in Canada.
- 12 Canadian students have participated in the Young Scientists Summer Program (YSSP), which develops the research skills and networks of talented PhD students. For the YSSP and the Postdoctoral Program, IIASA gives preference to applicants from member countries.
- 121 Canadians have visited IIASA and participated in IIASA organized events.
- IIASA researchers have visited Canada 62 times to attend conferences, present their research, and to discuss research collaborations and activities.
- Canadian-IIASA collaborations have results in more than 200 publications.
05 June 2023 Ispra, Italy-webstreamed event
IIASA at a panel discussion with EC Vice-President Dubravka Šuica
06 June 2023 Virtual event
IIASA Public Webinar #8: IIASA Voices - The role of science in catalyzing sustainability transformation
27 June 2023 The EGG Congress and Meeting Center, Brussels, Belgium
Land & Carbon Lab’s 2023 Summit Conference
29 June 2023 Seoul, Korea
Wolfgang Lutz to deliver keynote address at the Munhwa Future Report 2023 launch
16 October 2023 Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
RE4AFAGRI, IIASA and World Resources Institute (WRI) joint Workshops
06 December 2023 Vienna, Austria