IIASA Flagship Report launch is co-sponsored by the Permanent Missions of Austria and South Africa to the UN and supported by the Department of Science and Technology of South Africa. This official UN event illuminated essential facets of this landmark publication, which has received a foreword contribution from Alexander Van der Bellen, Federal President of the Republic of Austria.
The IIASA Flagship Report “Systems Analysis for Sustainable Wellbeing. 50 Years of IIASA Research, 40 Years After the Brundtland Commission, Contributing to the Post-2030 Global Agenda” chronicles the half-century-long history of the institute, which is considered a world leader in providing systems analytical advice on complex matters that affect the future of humanity.
At this critical mid-term review point of the 2030 Agenda, the report focuses on future challenges and solutions to help ensure sustainable wellbeing for all. As such, the publication closely ties into the overall theme of the 78th session of the UN General Assembly on “Rebuilding trust and reigniting global solidarity: Accelerating action on the 2030 Agenda and its Sustainable Development Goals towards peace, prosperity, progress and sustainability for all”.
H.E. Alexander Van der Bellen, Federal President of the Republic of Austria, a trained scientist and University Professor, who has been a staunch supporter of IIASA and its research activities has contributed the Foreword to the report, which was presented, jointly with Austria and South Africa.
The IIASA Flagship Report launch, which is an official UN event, brought together over 300 policymakers, scientists, and representatives from various sectors. Several IIASA leading researchers and high-level collaborators participated as speakers, highlighting key aspects of the report and the importance of advancing the 2030 Agenda.
- Stefan Pretterhofer, Deputy Permanent Representative of Austria to the United Nations
- Csaba Kőrösi, President of the 77th session of the UN General Assembly
- Albert van Jaarsveld, Director General, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA)
- Sepo Hachigonta, Director of Strategic Partnerships, National Research Foundation of South Africa
- Nyovani Janet Madise, Director of Research for Sustainable Development Policies and Head of the Malawi office, African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP)
- Adil Najam, President, WWF International
Chapter presentations (according to Chapters’ order) by:
- Wolfgang Lutz, Interim Deputy Director General for Science, IIASA; Professor of Demography, University of Vienna, and Co-editor of the Report
- Anne Goujon, Population and Just Societies Program Director, IIASA
- Marta Kozicka, Research Scholar, Integrated Biosphere Futures Research Group, Biodiversity and Natural Resources Program, IIASA
- Nebojsa Nakicenovic, Distinguished Emeritus Research Scholar, Transformative Institutional and Social Solutions Research Group, Energy, Climate, and Environment Program, IIASA
- Michael Kuhn, Economic Frontiers Program Director, IIASA
- Shonali Pachauri, Transformative Institutional and Social Solutions Research Group Leader, IIASA and Co-editor of the Report
- Barbara Kreissler, Head of Communications and External Relations Department, IIASA
02 October 2023 Montreal, Quebec, Canada
06 October 2023 MuTh, Am Augartenspitz, 1020 Vienna
16 October 2023 Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
06 December 2023 Vienna, Austria