05 May 2021 - 08 May 2021
The Population Association of America’s annual meeting is a premier conference of demographers and social and health scientists from the United States and abroad. Senior, mid- and early-career demographers present and discuss their research in oral and poster sessions, hear of others’ findings, and network with their peers. In 2021 the conference will be held online between 5-8 May .
Researchers from IIASA Population and Just Societies Program will present and discuss new research in presentations and poster sessions at this important event.
For detailed information to the PAA 2021 please visit the event website.
Wednesday, 5 May, 2021
Session: Advances in Measuring Poverty, Inequality, and Economic Well-being, 9:15 - 10:30 AM
• Intergenerational Differences in Income of Young Adults in Europe • A. Prskawetz,
B. Hammer, S. Spitzer
Poster Session: Aging and the Life Course; and Mortality and Morbidity, 9:30 - 11:00 AM
• Changes in Literacy Skills as Cohorts Age: A Demographic Reconstruction of Adult Literacy Test Results • C. Reiter
Poster Session: Applied Demography; Migration and Immigration; and Spatial and Environmental Demography, 1:15 - 2:45 PM
• (Un)equally Prepared? Gender Differentials in Flood Preparedness in Brazil and Thailand • R. Guimaraes, R. Muttarak, R. Hoffmann, G. Guedes, A. Barbieri
Poster Session: Gender and Sexuality; and Health and Health Behavior, 1:30 - 3:00 PM
• Agricultural Livelihoods and Environmental Migration in Sub-Saharan Drylands: A Meta-Analytic Review• R. Hoffmann, C. Wiederkehr, K. Hermans, A. Dimitrova,
Thursday, 6 May, 2021
Session: Migration and Aging, 9:15 - 10:30 AM
Session: Migration-Climate Research: Let’s Talk Methods, 10:45 - 12:00 PM
Friday, 7 May, 2021
Session: Environmental and Climate Influences on Morbidity and Mortality,
9:15 - 10:30 AM
• Population Change Meets Climate Change: Projecting the Future Health(care) Burden From Heat Waves in the Metropolitan Area of Vienna, Austria •
L. Courtney-Wolfman, R. Muttarak, R. Hoffmann, A-T. Renner, E. Striessnig
Poster Session: Fertility, Family Planning, Sexual Behavior, and Reproductive Health; and Religion and Culture, 9:30 - 11:00 AM
• Changes in Adolescent Fertility Across Municipalities in Nepal, 2011–2016 • C. Greenbaum, S. KC, T. Kaneda, B. Seligman, H.Dhonju
Session: Social and Spatial Disparities in Past Epidemics, 2:30 - 3:45 PM
Session: Environment and Population Behaviors, 2:30- 3:45 PM
• Voting for Tomorrow: Climate Change, Environmental Concerns, and Green Voting • R. Hoffmann, R. Muttarak, J. Peisker, P. Stanig
Last edited: 09 April 2021
Research at the World Population Program
Rockström, J., Gupta, J., Lenton, T.M., Qin, D., Lade, S.J., Abrams, J.F., Jacobson, L., Rocha, J.C., et al. (2021). Identifying a safe and just corridor for people and the planet. Earth's Future 9 (4), e2020EF001866. 10.1029/2020EF001866.
Balachandran, A., James, K.S., van Wissen, L., K.C., S., & Janssen, F. (2021). Can changes in education alter future population ageing in Asia and Europe? Journal of Biosocial Science, 1-13. 10.1017/S0021932021000134. (In Press)
Boza-Kiss, B., Pachauri, S. , & Zimm, C. (2021). Deprivations and Inequities in Cities Viewed Through a Pandemic Lens. Frontiers in Sustainable Cities 3, e645914. 10.3389/frsc.2021.645914.
Caulkins, J.P., Grass, D., Feichtinger, G., Hartl, R.F., Kort, P.M., Prskawetz, A., Seidl, A., & Wrzaczek, S. (2021). The optimal lockdown intensity for COVID-19. Journal of Mathematical Economics 93, e102489. 10.1016/j.jmateco.2021.102489.
Reiter, C. (2021). Changes in literacy skills as cohorts age: a demographic reconstruction of adult literacy test results. IIASA Working Paper. Laxenburg, Austria: WP-21-003
International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA)
Schlossplatz 1, A-2361 Laxenburg, Austria
Phone: (+43 2236) 807 0 Fax:(+43 2236) 71 313