IIASA Research Group Leader Shonali Pachauri will participate as a member of the Scientific Advisory Panel (SAP) at the CCAC to the Global Methane, Climate and Clean Air 2022 Forum.
The Global Methane, Climate and Clean Air Forum is a joint event sponsored by the Global Methane Initiative (GMI) and the Climate & Clean Air Coalition (CCAC). The Forum is a premier global event that convenes policymakers, industry leaders, technical experts, and researchers from around the world to discuss opportunities to protect the climate and improve air quality with a special focus on methane.
Shonali Pachauri is a member of the Scientific Advisory Panel (SAP) of the CCAC and will be a panelist during the Putting Development in the Lead: Food Security, Health and Poverty Alleviation Benefits plenary session of the Forum. Additionally, she will moderate the technical session on Closing the Air Quality Gap – Climate consequences and integrated strategies. Both events are scheduled for Wednesday, 28 September 2022.
The Global Methane, Climate and Clean Air 2022 Forum will be held in Washington D.C. Virtual registration to the event is possible at this link.
Plenary Session: Putting Development in the Lead: Food Security, Health and Poverty Alleviation Benefits
Wednesday, 28 September 2022 10:00-10:30
Moderator: Martina Otto, Head of Secretariat, Climate and Clean Air Coalition, United Nations Environment Programme
Session theme: With a focus on the development benefits, set out policy and planning best practices for action on methane and other SLCPs. Highlight countries taking action and progress on implementation. Highlight the CCAC Africa Assessment, focused specifically on achieving the African Union's 2063: The Africa We Want development agenda. This is the first CCAC assessment that tries to tackle a broader range of development objectives beyond just air quality and climate benefits.
Briefing on CCAC Africa Assessment; example of climate action through priority actions on Food Security and Health:
- Johan Kuylenstierna, CCAC Scientific Advisory Panel
- Kenza Khomsi, CCAC Scientific Advisory Panel
Policy and planning highlights from countries including innovative actions, successes, and challenges:
- Thailand – Siwaporn Rungsiyanon, Director of Transboundary Air Pollution Section, Pollution Control Department
- Mexico – Jose Abraham Ortinez Alvarez, Instituto Nacional de Ecología y Cambio Climático
- Pakistan – Syeda Hadika Jamshaid, Ministry of Climate Change
Panel discussion and reflections:
- Food and Agriculture Organization – Martial Bernoux
- CCAC Scientific Advisory Panel – Shonali Pachauri
- Switzerland – Janine Kuriger, Head of the Global Programme Climate Change and Environment, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation
- Zimbabwe – Lawrence Mashungo, Climate Change Mitigation Expert, Ministry of Lands, Agriculture, Water, Climate and Rural Resettlement
29 March 2023 virtual meeting
Webinar: Knowledge Action Network on Emergent Risks and Extreme Events (RISK KAN)
10 April 2023 New York, USA
Wolfgang Lutz delivers keynote address at the 56th session of the UN Commission on Population and Development
27 June 2023 The EGG Congress and Meeting Center, Brussels, Belgium
Land & Carbon Lab’s 2023 Summit Conference
06 December 2023 Vienna, Austria