IIASA and the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine (NASEM)* are co-hosting a webinar series on Sustainability and the SDGs: Promoting a Dynamic Science-Policy Interface.
Take part in the webinar series on Sustainability and the SDGs: Promoting a Dynamic Science-Policy Interface. The webinars will explore pathways to achieve the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals from multiple perspectives:
- An integrated approach to implementing the SDGs that combines multiple research expertise from science to engineering to medicine in order to maximize the synergies and minimize the trade-offs across the goals (webinar 1).
- How can science best inform public understanding and aid in policy decision-making to achieve a sustainable future (webinar 2).
- How can science diplomacy facilitate international cooperation to meet sustainability challenges at global and regional scales (webinar 3).
The webinars, co-hosted by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine (NASEM) and the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA), will feature two internationally-renown speakers followed by an audience question and answer session.
Series host: Michael Clegg (Professor Emeritus, University of California, Irvine; Chair of IIASA Council)
Monday, August 31, 11:00am-12:30 pm Eastern
1. Sustainability and the SDGs: Sustainability and The World in 2050
Moderator: Leena Srivastava (Deputy Director General for Science, IIASA)
Speakers: Nebojsa (Naki) Nakicenovic (Emeritus Research Scholar, IIASA) and Franklin Carrero-Martinez (Senior Director, Global Policy and Development & Science and Technology for Sustainability, NASEM)
Question facilitator: Maria Donoso, Florida International University
Monday, September 14, 1:00-2:30 pm Eastern
2. Sustainability and the SDGs: The Science-Policy-Society Interface
Moderator: Marcia McNutt (President, National Academy of Sciences (NAS))
Speakers: Albert van Jaarsveld (Director General, IIASA) and E. William (Bill) Colglazier (Senior Scholar, Center for Science Diplomacy, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS))
Question facilitator: Simon Levin, Princeton University
Monday, September 28, 1:00-2:30 pm Eastern
3. Sustainability and the SDGs: Science Diplomacy
Moderator: Vaughan Turekian (Executive Director, Policy and Global Affairs, NASEM)
Speakers: Frances Colon (President, Jasperi Consulting) and Jan Marco Müller (Science Advisor, European External Action Service)
Question facilitator: David McCollum, Electric Power Research Institute
02 October 2023 Montreal, Quebec, Canada
06 October 2023 MuTh, Am Augartenspitz, 1020 Vienna
16 October 2023 Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
06 December 2023 Vienna, Austria