As input to the climate negotiations at COP15 in Copenhagen 2009, IIASA has developed a coherent international comparison of greenhouse gas mitigation efforts among Annex I Parties in 2020. This web site provides interactive access to an on-line calculator, underlying input data, and documentation of the methodology.
Greenhouse gas mitigation efforts initiated over the next decade will be critical for the achievement of the deep emission reductions that are necessary for stabilizing GHG concentrations in the atmosphere. Substantial opportunities exist to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases in the near- to medium term; however, it will be a formidable challenge for negotiating Parties at the UNFCCC to arrive at a generally accepted scheme for sharing efforts among Annex I countries that achieves the necessary emission reductions.
IIASA has published a series of reports that assess the cost implications of pledges made by Annex I Parties in preparation for the 2009 climate change negotiations at COP15 in Copenhagen:
- Presentation by Markus Amann and Fabian Wagner at the Barcelona Climate Change Talks side event, November 2009: Mitigation potentials, pledges and costs of Annex I countries in view of the economic crisis
- Wagner, F. and M. Amann (2009). Analysis of the proposals for GHG reductions in 2020 made by UNFCCC Annex I Parties: Implications of the economic crisis. November 2009.
- Amann, M., J. Cofala, P. Rafaj and F. Wagner (2009). The impact of the economic crisis on GHG mitigation potentials and costs in Annex I countries. November 2009.
- Wagner, F. and M. Amann (2009). Analysis of the proposals for GHG reductions in 2020 made by UNFCCC Annex I countries by mid-August 2009. September 2009.
- Amann, M., P. Rafaj and N. Höhne (2009). GHG mitigation potentials in Annex I countries. Comparison of model estimates for 2020. Report IR-09-034, September 2009.
- Online Mitigation Efforts Calculator (introductory video demonstrating how to use the calculator).
- Online access to GAINS Annex I input data.