Applications for the summer 2022 Science Communication Fellowships are now closed.
The IIASA science communication fellowship is a highly competitive program that immerses early-career science communicators in the dynamic work of the IIASA communications team. The 2022 fellowship starts on 23 May and ends on 2 September. The fellowship covers the cost of travel to and from Vienna and the awardee’s home country at the beginning and end of the fellowship, as well as a modest salary to offset living expenses during the period of the fellowship.
The science communication fellows will gain experience in communicating complex systems science for a general audience through a variety of platforms including blogs, website content, social media, video, and articles for our magazine, Options. The successful candidate will work in the IIASA Communications and External Relations (CER) department, assisting with a variety of tasks including web publishing, media relations, event coverage, multimedia, social media, and other communication activities. The fellow will also work closely with participants in the IIASA Young Scientists Summer Program (YSSP) and IIASA scientists, producing several pieces of work covering their research.
- A Bachelor's or equivalent degree in science or journalism, and/or current student or graduate of a science journalism program
- Applicants from all countries are welcome, but IIASA gives priority to citizens or residents of countries in which IIASA has a National Member Organization. We encourage applications from developing countries.
- First-hand experience in writing about science for non-specialist audiences via blogs, newspapers, university web sites, or other outlets
- Written and oral fluency in English and proven ability to understand complex scientific research
- Experience with or interest in social media, video, photography, or other multimedia.
General information on working at IIASA is available here and a page with frequently asked questions can be accessed here (please note that this page has been designed for the Young Scientists Summer Program and not all of it will apply to the science communication fellowship).
A monthly salary based on an annual gross salary of EUR 18,800.00, which is exempt from income tax in Austria.
The advertised salary is:
- Subject to deductions for health insurance and/or social security.
The 2022 Science Communication Fellowship runs from 23 May to 2 September 2022, and the selected candidates will be expected to be at the IIASA premises in Laxenburg, Austria for the full period.
IIASA does not provide housing or additional funding for housing. Science communication fellows do not qualify for moving, installation, or other allowances. The cost of travel from the home country to and from the institute will be covered by IIASA.
To apply for this opportunity, you will need to provide the following documents in English:
- Cover Letter outlining your motivation for applying
- One writing sample of no more than 800 words about a scientific topic and aimed at a general audience (e.g., article for a newspaper or magazine, blog post, or op-ed)
- A letter of recommendation.
Incomplete applications and/or applications containing written samples longer than 800 words will not be considered. Deadline for receipt of applications: 4 February 2022
For further information about this opportunity please contact: Ansa Heyl, Press Officer and Editor.
For general information about working at IIASA, please contact: