Apply now to the IIASA Postdoctoral Fellowship program providing full funding (12 months with the possibility of extension for another 12 months) to conduct your own research on topics closely related to one or more projects on IIASA's agenda.
The IIASA Postdoctoral Program is open to applicants of all nationalities and is aimed at training highly qualified early-career postdoctoral researchers to carry out research at our international research institute based near Vienna, Austria. A global leader in systems analysis, IIASA conducts policy-oriented multidisciplinary research into challenges that are too large or complex to be solved by a single country or discipline. These challenges, which include climate change, biodiversity, energy security, and sustainable development, must be solved by international cooperation.
The fellow will not only gain first-hand experience in applying systems analysis to real-world problems and issues but will also have access to a network of international collaborators, many of them with highly successful careers in their own specialized scientific areas, which can help in boosting future career prospects.
1) Candidates are required to develop and submit a research proposal that interfaces their own research interests with the research agenda of one of the various activities pursued at IIASA.
Please explore the research areas currently present on the IIASA website to identify areas of possible research themes/interests that would fit into your developing research proposals. We encourage applicants to identify and reach out to IIASA researchers to discuss their proposals and identify potential supervisors early on in the process.
We suggest to look at the application form, frame the proposed according to the questions there, and then send an introductory e-mail. This is vital, not only to discuss research ideas and ascertain their relevance to IIASA but also to ensure more realistic research plans and expectations on the part of both IIASA and the applicant.
3) Candidates should have held their PhD for less than five years at the application deadline. However, eligibility is extended under the following circumstances.
4) IIASA does not do lab-type research and therefore has no labs. The IIASA postdoctoral fellowship requires you to be present at IIASA; please do not apply if you need to stay away from the institute for you research, or expect IIASA to fund field research.
6) Before applying please also have a look at our postdoctoral fellowship guidelines.
7) IIASA selection criteria:
- Quality of the research
- Novelty of the research
- Candidate's merits
- Cross-cutting potential
The call will open on 2 September 2022. All applications must be received by 30 November 2022.
January 2023 – Selected fellows will be notified
June 2023 – Preferred commencement of fellowship